Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Strong is the new sexy: Changing the narrative

I never wanted to lift weights. I thought nope, it's a waste of time. If I want to get "skinny" I need to do cardio for 45 minutes and eat 1200 calories or less. That'll do it! Clearly that did not "do it". Not only is it incredibly boring, but when you're only eating 1200 calories you are always hungry! Or in all reality, hangry (don't ask, just google it). But this was what I was "taught". This is what girls do. Until about a year ago.

Now here I am, in the best shape of my life and only getting better. And I'm finally "getting" it. The myths that have been perpetuated as truths for most of my life have finally been broken by my own results and the results of so many others. But what will the "fitness industry" do if women stop believing their crap and stop buying their ab rockers, tread climbers, and the other shit they tout in their douche-baggy infomercials? What if women finally start listening to those people who have looked at the science, who have figured out how to shape bodies and change perceptions to provide REAL results? When you watch the Today show and you hear a woman talk about "fat loss" as opposed to "weight loss" for probably the first time ever, you smile and you realize that maybe, just maybe, the masses are finally catching on. And maybe they'll also realize that the scale is kind of evil and BMI is an asshole.

I was fortunate enough to attend a fitness workshop this weekend, given by the amazingly strong Artemis Scantalides. That was the icing on this proverbial cake (mmmm, cake). What?? I was at a fitness workshop? Who am I? Anyway, this "I am not afraid to lift" workshop, continued to blast holes through the nonsense we've been fed by the fitness industry (and in many cases our doctors) for too many years to count. And this woman is proof that strong is the new sexy. Some of the things she was able to do I could only liken to party tricks. How did she do some of these things with her body?? Well, she worked her butt off. Oh, and she is a bad ass. And she was teaching us how to be bad asses. And she was encouraging us to become the masters of our domain. And it was awesome. It was empowering. And I couldn't wait to get into the gym the next day to lift more weights. (Ok, I'm stretching the truth a teeny bit there. I was sore as hell but I still went in and got it done!)

Now I'm not putting down my marathoning friends, my endurance savages. You go ahead and get 'er done. I think it's amazing what you are able to push your mind and body to do. But that's not me. So if I can't do that, does that mean I won't be able to meet my own goals? Nope. When I walked into the gym a year ago I was amazed by what I saw some of these women doing. I wanted to be them. They were swinging, pushing, pulling, lifting, grunting, sweating and kicking some major ass. And now I am one of them. And every time I lift a heavier weight or learn a new move I feel accomplished. I feel like I am joining the ranks of the strong. And I am thankful for my trainers who have taught me that it's ok to lift heavy things, it's ok to eat actual food (and lots of it) and that it's good to build muscle! 



And I also see it in the many posts on my social media feeds. Whether it's Facebook or Instagram, seeing people at the gym, posing with their gym buddies, posting videos of their accomplishments. It's all motivation for me. I don't care what other people say, I applaud your "check-ins", your food posts, your PR details. Keep 'em coming! We are watching and we are proud of you!

 So in the land of lady beasts and loud leggings I have found inspiration. I have found a new way to approach my health. I have a found a group of people who support each other's accomplishments and who push you to take the next step to get better and to reach your goals.

So go ahead - lift like a girl. I dare you.



Peace. Love. And sanity. And strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment